Wednesday, May 20, 2026
HomeNewsPDP Faction To Screen Jonathan Tuesday Amid Lingering Eligibility Suit

PDP Faction To Screen Jonathan Tuesday Amid Lingering Eligibility Suit

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) faction led by Tanimu Turaki has fixed Tuesday for the screening of former President Goodluck Jonathan as its sole presidential aspirant, despite a subsisting legal controversy over his eligibility to contest.

The development comes as a suit challenging Jonathan’s qualification to seek the presidency again remains before the courts, casting a shadow over his potential return to the 2027 race.

According to a statement by the faction, the screening exercise will be conducted by a 14-member committee comprising prominent party figures, including former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, former Plateau State governor Jonah Jang, and ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs Tom Ikimi.

Other members of the panel are Chief Olabode George, former Niger State governor Babangida Aliyu, Maryam Ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenih, Abdul Bulama, Esther Uduehi, Edo State PDP Chairman Tony Aziegbemi, Sunday Solarin, and Anicho Okoro, who will serve as administrative secretary.

Although the party officially referred to a “lone presidential aspirant,” sources confirmed that Jonathan—who recently re-registered with the PDP during its digital membership exercise—is the sole figure being considered for the ticket.

The faction’s National Publicity Secretary, Ini Ememobong, had last week disclosed that the former president had completed his registration in compliance with the directive of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

However, Jonathan’s aspiration is expected to face judicial scrutiny, as the pending court case questions his constitutional eligibility, particularly in relation to term limits under Nigeria’s 1999 Constitution.

Meanwhile, the faction aligned with Oyo State governor Seyi Makinde said it would simultaneously screen a total of 3,180 aspirants across various elective positions, including 112 governorship hopefuls, 198 senatorial aspirants, 748 House of Representatives contenders and 2,122 candidates for state Houses of Assembly.
The nationwide screening exercise is scheduled to hold on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10:00 a.m., in line with the party’s timetable for the 2027 general elections.

The party’s Interim National Working Committee said it had also approved the composition of screening committees and appeal panels as part of efforts to ensure a credible and transparent nomination process.

Observers note that while the screening of Jonathan may proceed as planned, the outcome of the pending legal challenge could ultimately determine his eligibility to stand in the forthcoming presidential election.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments