Monday, February 16, 2026
HomeNewsFG Arraigns El-Rufai Over Alleged Phone Interception As Protests Rock EFCC Headquarters

FG Arraigns El-Rufai Over Alleged Phone Interception As Protests Rock EFCC Headquarters

The Federal Government has filed criminal charges against former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over alleged unlawful interception of the communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The charges, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, were instituted before the Federal High Court, Abuja Judicial Division, with the Federal Republic of Nigeria listed as complainant and El-Rufai as defendant.

According to court documents, the prosecution alleged that on February 13, 2026, while featuring on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme in Abuja, El-Rufai admitted that he and others unlawfully intercepted the telephone communications of Ribadu.

In count one, the Federal Government contends that the alleged admission constitutes an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count two alleges that during the same interview, El-Rufai acknowledged knowing and associating with individuals involved in the unlawful interception but failed to report them to the appropriate authorities, contrary to Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes Amendment Act, 2024.

The third count accuses the former governor and others said to be at large of using technical equipment or systems in Abuja in 2026 to unlawfully intercept the National Security Adviser’s communications, an act the prosecution claims compromised public safety and national security. The charge is said to contravene Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

As of press time, no date had been fixed for his arraignment.

Protests trail EFCC invitation

Meanwhile, tension mounted at the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in Abuja on Monday as supporters and critics of El-Rufai staged protests over his appearance before the anti-graft agency.

The demonstrators, who gathered at the commission’s Jabi office, were sharply divided. While one group chanted solidarity slogans in support of the former governor, another demanded that the commission subject him to a thorough investigation.
Witnesses described the atmosphere as tense but largely peaceful, with security personnel maintaining a heavy presence around the premises.

There was mild drama when security operatives reportedly barred some members of El-Rufai’s entourage from gaining access to the facility.

El-Rufai was said to have honoured an invitation by the commission days after his legal team confirmed that he would make himself available to investigators, following what aides described as a failed attempt to arrest him at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport last Thursday.

The former governor subsequently entered the EFCC premises as protesters continued their demonstrations outside the gate, underscoring the political and legal storm surrounding the unfolding case.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments