Monday, February 16, 2026
HomeNewsNNPCL Right-of-Way: Ayambo Community Demands Fresh Assessment, Fair Compensation

NNPCL Right-of-Way: Ayambo Community Demands Fresh Assessment, Fair Compensation

The Chairman of Ayambo Community in Bonny Local Government Area of Rivers State, Warisenibo Godswill Jumbo, has called for an immediate re-evaluation of structures affected by the ongoing right-of-way demolition linked to the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, insisting that justice and equity must prevail.

Speaking with reporters on Thursday, February 12, 2026, at his residence in Ayambo, Jumbo expressed concern over what he described as discrepancies between the information initially provided by company officials and the realities on ground.

According to him, representatives of the company had earlier briefed him on specific demolition dimensions along the pipeline corridor, but subsequent findings by a community surveillance team revealed a significantly expanded scope.

“What they told me when they visited is different from what my surveillance team reports they are now doing. You cannot agree on five metres, 10 metres or even three metres, and later return to say it is 25 metres or any other figure,” he said.

Jumbo maintained that he would not condone injustice against members of his community, particularly where livelihoods and homes are concerned.

“Everyone who knows me understands that I do not pander to injustice, especially when it affects my people. I am calling on them to go back, conduct a new assessment and pay the people what they are legitimately entitled to,” he added.

While acknowledging the existence of pipelines and their legally designated right-of-way in the area, the community leader urged affected residents to vacate the corridor in the interest of safety — but only after a transparent reassessment and proper compensation.

“We are aware of the dangers of living along the right of way and I advise those affected to vacate for their own safety. But the right thing must be done,” he said.

He further blamed what he termed “greedy and selfish land speculators” for selling parcels of land within the restricted corridor to unsuspecting buyers, despite longstanding community warnings.

“That place is called pipeline for a reason. It has pipelines, and nobody is supposed to build or live on top of them. We have consistently warned our people to avoid that area,” Jumbo stated, while appealing to those who have erected structures there to relocate.

Tension escalated in the community on Tuesday, February 10, 2026, as residents protested the sudden demolition of properties by Kristal Polis Limited, a contractor to WAGL Energy Limited, which in turn is engaged by NNPC Exploration and Production Limited — a subsidiary of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited.

Several residents alleged that they were misled into signing documents in Port Harcourt under the pretext that payments made to them were to facilitate minor fence adjustments away from the pipeline corridor. They claimed the same payments are now being presented as full compensation for their properties.

The unfolding dispute has heightened concerns over transparency, community engagement and adherence to due process in the execution of pipeline right-of-way enforcement projects in the oil-rich region.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments