Security agencies have begun a coordinated search operation for students and staff of St Mary’s Secondary School, a Catholic institution in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area of Niger State, who were abducted in the early hours of Friday.
Armed men were said to have invaded the school around 2:00 a.m., whisking away an unconfirmed number of students from their hostels. Initial reports indicate that several staff members may also have been taken.
In a statement on Friday, the spokesperson for the Niger State Police Command, SP Wasiu Abiodun, confirmed the attack, saying police tactical units, soldiers and other security operatives had been deployed to the scene and were “combing the forests” in a bid to rescue the victims.
He said the Commissioner of Police, Adamu Abdullahi Elleman, had assured parents and residents of the Command’s commitment to safely recover the abducted students, urging the public to remain calm and support ongoing security operations.
Church officials in the state also confirmed the incident but said details were still being compiled. “Yes, it is true, but I am not in a position to give details. The church will issue an official statement later in the day,” a source told The Atlantic Bell.
The Head of Department, Disaster and Relief, Agwara Local Government, Ahmed Abdullahi Rofia, likewise confirmed the raid, noting that authorities were still trying to establish the exact number of abducted persons.
The attack comes amid rising concerns over the safety of schools in northern Nigeria. Only days ago, 25 students were kidnapped in Maga, Kebbi State, while more than 50 schools in Kwara State were shut on Thursday following a surge in bandit activities.
President Bola Tinubu on Thursday cancelled scheduled trips to South Africa and Angola to coordinate the Federal Government’s response to the worsening security situation.



